School of Fashion
Construct the styles of tomorrow. Learn from the finest creative minds working in fashion today. Students pursuing a Fashion Design degree have access to the tools and cutting-edge facilities needed for creating collections that garner accolades at New York Fashion Week, and the Graduation Fashion Show in San Francisco. Join us and bring your vision to life on the runway.
Fashion and Technology Create Award-Winning Designs | Watch the Full Story
Sunyoung Park | Fashion
Zhangchi Wang | Fashionhttps://www.pinterest.com/powerpoint_templates/powerpoint-roadmap-template/
Rumi Iwasaki | Fashion
Ethan Chihuan Yang | Fashion
Hely Nguyen | Fashion
Yuming Weng | Fashion
A Successful Fashion Student’s Journey | Get the Full Story
Shape the future of the industry with any of our flexible learning programs.
One of our many facilities open to Fashion students.
Executive Director of Fashion
The costume design emphasis combines a rigorous sewing program with industry-specific design courses, preparing students to work in theater and film. Students are given the opportunity to gain practical experience through collaboration with the School of Motion Pictures & Television and the School of Acting.
The fashion design emphasis focuses on the creation of clothing including ready-to-wear, womenswear, menswear and costume design. Students are encouraged to develop their personal vision and design philosophy while deepening their understanding of the various international market segments.
Fashion Journalism encompasses every aspect of fashion media, from traditional print platforms to the growing world of online journalism and social media. Graduates of the Fashion Journalism program will be fully trained to report, write and edit fashion editorial pieces for magazines, newspapers, websites, in house retail fashion sites and public relations outlets.
The knitwear design emphasis focuses on providing students with the skills and construction techniques to produce high quality knitwear designs. Students will learn to design and produce swatches, garments, and full knitwear collections. They will establish a strong personal knitwear design philosophy through using visual research, and exploring design development processes.
The fashion merchandising emphasis focuses on all functions necessary to run a successful operation that develops, promotes and sells fashion products. Students develop the techniques and unique personal style necessary for a successful career in Merchandising.
Fashion Styling is creating fashion imagery that delivers the message of the designer or brand. Fashion Styling students at Academy of Art University will develop a styling portfolio and gain hands-on experience developing concepts and assembling compelling outfits for photo shoots. Fashion culture, working with models, photographers and make-up artists are emphasized throughout the program. Graduates of the program will be fully trained to style, produce and art direct for print or online fashion magazines, ad campaigns, commercials, catalogs, designers’ look books, fashion shows, fashion videos and personal clients.
The textile design emphasis focuses on printed surface design. Different mediums for drawing and painting are explored while learning how to design repeat patterns and graphic prints using both traditional techniques and industry standard computer software.
The visual merchandising emphasis focuses on the physical method of promoting product and services to the customer for the purpose of increasing sales. Visual merchandisers actively engage in developing floor plans, window displays, in-store presentations, store lighting and graphics. Visual merchandisers work collaboratively with retailers to ensure that retail space is best utilized to maximize sales.
Careers in Fashion
- Technical Knitwear Designer
- Design Director
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Director
- Visual Merchandising Director
- Fashion Editor
- Executive Editor
- Create and maintain specification tech-packs
- Manage and organize fittings
- Ensure smooth communication between design and production teams
- Understand technical aspects of knitwear design, construction, and fit
- Strong communication skills
- Proficiency with Web PDM software
- Produce trend directions
- Build color and fabric stories
- Oversee production
- Trend analysis
- Market analysis
- Anticipate market tastes
- Research inspiration for prints and patterns
- Drawing, painting and design development
- Create engineered and repeat patterns
- Edit computer generated prints, wovens and graphics in multiple color ways
- Prepare artwork to production ready standards
- Traditional and computer design skills using industry standard software
- Knowledge of dyeing and screen printing fabric
- Proficiency with engineered and repeat pattern prints.
- Good sense of color application
- Strategize fashion messaging
- Manage the buying team
- Understand market trends in key categories to craft strategies
- Trend development and forecasting
- Color and design expertise
- Strong communication skills
- Oversee concept and presentation of ideas
- Oversee production of designs and concepts
- Manage and direct budgets
- High level of creativity
- Color and design expertise
- Budget management
- Conceptualize, produce, art direct, and style fashion shoots
- Choose looks to feature in trend reports
- Guide and lead teams across the publication
- Excellent writing skills
- Highly knowledgable about fashion, art, and photography
- Personable attitude to build relationships with partners
- Generate story ideas and assign stories to writers
- Edit print and website content
- Oversee the workflow of the department
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work across print, online, and social media
- Create initial flat patterns
- Fit sewn first samples and oversee alterations
- Advise production teams to maintain brand aesthetic
- Flat pattern making, draping, fitting, grading, and construction skills
- Ability to interpret sketches into a realized garment
- Knowledge of fabrics, terminology, and components
- Conceptualize and style brand-appropriate looks
- Collaborate with teams on concepts
- Coordinate between merchandising, marketing, and creative departments
- Knowledge of contemporary and designer brands
- Ability to produce photo shoots from location scouting to booking models
- Keen eye for styling on-location and in-studio